What is Down?
Down, Feathers, and Fill Power
- Down is nature’s best insulator. It is a cluster of natural filaments found on the breast of a duck or goose.
- The hundreds of soft filaments radiating in all directions from a central point allow the cluster to trap air, creating insulating warmth and loft.
- In comforters, down provides irresistibly cozy, yet lightweight comfort throughout the year.
- In pillows, down provides exceptional comfort and wonderfully soft support.
- Pacific Coast® down is machine washable and even fluffs back up in the dryer.
What are Feathers?
- Feathers, found on the back and wings of a duck or goose, have a hollow quill shaft with soft radiating filaments.
- In pillows and feather beds this curly central shaft provides naturally durable, essential support for the sleeper.
- Pacific Coast® feathers are machine washable and dryable.
Fill Power – A Unique Down Measurement
- Fill power measures down’s ability to loft and insulate. It is a measurement unique to down and recognized by the International Down and Feather Bureau as the amount of cubic inches one ounce of down will occupy.
- For example, one ounce of down from a 550 fill power comforter is enough to fill 550 cubic inches of volume.
- The higher the fill power, the greater the space one ounce of down will fill to create a better loft effect.